Whatsup people, how are you doing? Although it’s already four days after Valentine, this month of February feels like one crawling. Or is it just me??
Well, that aside. For those of us who have found the ‘Tiff’ of our hearts, (let’s say awon bae and boo) I hope we ‘spoilt them silly’ during the love season. And hope the love tingly go continued, even after.
As for those of us that haven’t found the ‘right one’ (set awon single to stupor) what are we waiting for? Can’t you see that brother Joromi has been giving you signal since? Won’t you just smile back at him? Are you not feeling the chemistry?
I am asking too many jamb questions right? Enough of that.
Let me go straight to the point.
All this many talks is actually (obviously) about one of my very top Celebrity Crush, Simi. Yeah yeah, I know she’s married. Na just crush I talk.
Simi, who is a specialist in bringing love songs to our ears blended with an irresistible voice is the star of this piece.
So, here are a few things you didn’t know about my Simi. I mean, our Simi:
• Did you know that Simi was born in Ojuelegaba, a suburb in Surulere Lagos State? Yaaaas, same place Starboy Wizkid grew up. I bet you did not know Simi was born there. However, along the line, she had to go to a secondary School in Ikorordu another area in Lagos.
• Simi is a graduate of Covenant Univerisity.
Yasss, she has a bachelor’s degree in Mass communication from CU. Hmmm, well with that her sweet voice and certificate she go fit collect work from many OAP’s ooo. No be me talk am sha.
• She wrote her first song at age 10.
Simi who started as a gospel artiste, began her professional music career in 2008, following the release of her debut studio album Ogaju, which consisted of a variety of songs such as “Iya Temi” and “Ara Ile”. The album was produced entirely by Samklef.
• In January 2014, Simi released the 5-track EP ‘Restless’, which eventually earned her a record deal with X3M Music. Also On January 9, 2014, she released two singles “Tiff” and “E No Go Funny”.
Both songs received frequent airplay, and were met with massive positive reviews from critics. This was when many of us started to pay attention to this Nightingale in human form. The song “Tiff” was nominated for Best Alternative Song at the 2015 edition of The Headies.
• Later in 2015, Simi won the Most Promising Act to Watch category at the 2015 Nigeria Entertainment Awards, upon releasing “Jamb Question”. This song became a favorite of most music lovers especially with her featuring Falz on the remix. Simi was listed as one of the artistes to watch out for in 2016 by NotJustOk.
• On February 14, 2016, Simi released a love ballad titled “Love Don’t Care”. It received frequent radio airplay and was met with positive reviews. “Love Don’t Care” painted a picture that addresses tribalism and discrimination,both of which are major characters in many Nigeria love stories. So what Simi was simply saying on that track, is that one should feel free to fall in love especially beyond irrelevant sentiments. Not minding who or what they are. Let love be the goal.
• On October 27 2016, Simi collaborated with Falz to release the extended play ‘Chemistry’. Oghene Michael of 360 Nobs described the EP as an “experiment of the word art”.
After the release of this project ehn, most of us concluded that Egbon Falz have stopped asking jamb question and popped the important question to Simi, which is whether or not she will marry him. LMAO! We all know the real story now.
• In anticipation of her 12-track second studio album ‘Simisola’, Simi released two singles; “Smile for Me” and “Joromi”. And they were mad Oh! Eventually when the album dropped on September 1, 2017, it debuted at number 5 on the Billboard World Albums chart.
Awwn! From being a singer at her local church choir to billboard world album chart, Simi is definitely a success story.
• In March 2019, Simi disclosed that she would be releasing her third studio album ‘Omo Charlie Champagne’, Vol. 1 to coincide with her birthday on April 19, 2019. She disclosed this information in a series of social media messages.The album is a slight departure from the relatively afro-centric feel of Simisola (2017). It featured acts like Patoranking, Maleek Berry, Falz, and her husband, Adekunle Gold.
Its production was primarily handled by Oscar, with additional production from Vtek, Legendury Beatz, and Sess.Simi dedicated the album to her father, Charles Oladele Ogunleye, who died in 2014.
• In May 2019, X3M Music announced Simi’s departure following the expiration of her recording contract. Both parties did not renew the contract and agreed to part ways. In June 2019, Simi announced the launch of her independent record label, Studio Brat. That is to say that Simi is a record label boss. Naa, she’s not your mate hun! Lool. No doubt, she has continuously grown in the music industry.
• Apart from being a singer and songwriter, Simi is also a sound engineer. She is credited with mixing and mastering Adekunle Gold’s debut studio album ‘Gold’, which was released in July 2016. I swear to God, Simi is the whole music package. She also knows the technical part of music which most artistes don’t know about it.
Something is telling me it was during the mixing and mastering of this album that Uncle Adekunle started to take Simi matter personal, but what do I know?
• Simi married singer Adekunle Gold in a private wedding ceremony on January 9, 2019. Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow and wow! Her wedding to Uncle Adekunle was one of the greatest surprises of 2019. Many of us did not see it coming at all.
We heard rumors, but they took us unaware. It was later revealed that they had been dating for five years. The real set of “awon let’s keep it lowkey” All good though! All good.
• Now for the last but in no way the least. Did you know that Simi is a ‘gbas gbos’ person? What I mean by this is that, Simi is always ready to serve you a savage reply hot hot on social media. Ask Twitter user Mazi Ibe @i_pissvodka and even her hubby, Adekunle.
So here’s my advice for all the amebo and talkatives on social media. Please, try venture into “minding your” business a little, and most of all, no just follow Simi play rough play oo. Cause this is going to be another Simi Championship in advance.
So there you have it, thirteen things you should know about Simisola Ogunleye, the ‘Afrobeats Nightingale’, who is a mastermind in the sphere of GOOD music.
To the Queen who blends soothing lyrics with unique vocals!
Long Live The Queen